Time: 1 hour Serves: 4 Difficulty: Easy
- 2 tspn extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tspn finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tspn turmeric
- 1/2 tspn cinnamon
- 1/2 tspn dried chilli flakes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup french green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 150g green beans, trimmed and sliced
- 100g kale leaves, chopped
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, lemon rind, turmeric, cinnamon and chilli. Cook, stirring for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add stock, lentils, tomatoes and 3 cups of water to the pan. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Add the beans and kale to the soup and stir to combine. Simmer for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with pepper.